Adapting to Life

Life has a way of throwing up unexpected suprises when you least expect it. That might sound oxymoronic, but that's life. This blog will reflect on the suprises in my life and how I adapt to it. In layman's term, it's a place where I can vent all my angst and trumpet all my joys.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

*Adapting to Love*: Valentine's Day

Another memorable date for me to remember. This date needs no mention as everyone knows when it is, the day where commericalism rules for those in relationship and the day where hopefuls can express their feelings without fear of rejection.

She called me about 2 am. Was asleep so not really aware. However, what was clear was the distance and lack of warmth or happiness in her voice. "Happy Valentine's Day", I wished her. "Same to you", she replied sounding distance. To cut a long story short, I asked her what's wrong and she said this might not be the best day to tell me, but I forced it out of here anyway. She said that she was growing distant from me. I asked if she is sure as I cannot take the off/on, cold/hot thing anymore, and she said yes. I told her if she knew that it was a matter of time before I found my way to Dubai, she said yes.

So I guess that was all left to said. I wished her a good life and said goodbye. Am I sad? Obviously. Am I devastated? Definitely. Am I heartbroken? Undoubtably.

But I have learnt to take a more philopshical approach to life. I do love her and given the same choices of letting her to go Dubai and losing her, I would do it all over again, because that is what she wanted. She could have developed her career here, but she did not see it that way, so it was her choice and all I could do is support her.

I have done all I could to make her understand that I love her, but that is not enough. It is fine with me as this is me, and this is all I can do. I do not hate her, but I am dissapointed that her faith and love for me was not strong enough to survive the temporary seperation. Not dissapointed in her, but perhaps at myself. My love for her never waivered and I never doubted my feelings for her, because she is someone special and worth all that I have done and I have no regrets. Unfortunately she did not feel the same about me.

Of course she being her stubborn self did not want to explain her actions or tell me what she really wanted by saying "I don't know". Well, unfortunately, she did not want me to help find out her answers together and that is a journey that she has to take alone or with someone else there.

To my Wildfire Princess, beneath all your imperfections, all your fears, all your doubts lies a perfect heart. But from today onwards, you will have to discover your true self without me, because you are no longer my Wildfire Princess anymore, and it was your decision to make it so.

This is not a bitter posting but something that needs to be done for my ownself. You made me happy but that is no longer an option for me.

Happy Valentine Day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mirebella said...

A mate who used to work in Emirates had this to say when I asked her about working there "About the Emirates job, I think that it's a great experience working for them - the pay is great and the company is good. Not too about long distance rships.. It's up to the person. The girl is young and I don't see why she would keep her relationship. You have rich Arab men who are good looking falling at your feet and you have about 90 nationalities working for Emirates and all good looking men and all having fun. Why get stuck with one man at the age of 23?" - :-(

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arab men are way too hairy (one girl said less hairy men - like moi - are better picks coz kissing me won't litter her tongue with tiny hair). A fair percentage of them are also chauvinistic. In that respect, you are a better long term prospect, and Dubai princesses (native / expatriate) would do well to realize it.

Having said that however, long distance love is a bitch and then more. And like they say "It's better an egg today than a chicken tomorrow".

My advice is: Accept the split, endure the suffering, listen to sad slow songs, BUT at least you'll retain some sanity as a result.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Adapterboy said...

"Kissing you and get tiny hair"??? Don't even want to know where you get kissed, you lucky bastard....

All very true comments, but at the end of the day, it boils down to the individual and the individual that she loves. In this case, she has made her choices and I cannot be the one doing all the fighting. Kismet. So will learn to let go and move on... And will listen to sad love songs AND maintain my sanity.

Mirebella, brutally honest comments as usual, but whether it applies in this case, I don't know, only she does. But thank you for being honest with me... And you have known me long enough to know that I am not being sarcastic and I do truly appreciate it.

Cheers all.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parting from your loved one is painful; the hurt of breaking up is indescribable. But the important thing is that you learn to move on with life. Well some might say that moving on is simple; it's what you leave behind that makes it so difficult. Whatever it may be I think you are doing a great job holding it all together. Well done! You should be very proud of yourself.
Remember, some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go.

12:30 AM  
Blogger FoggyDuo said...

I strongly believe that "If it is meant to happen, it WILL"... and time is a factor in that. My beloved and I met in 1988, and then did not meet again till 1996.... and we ended up married in 1999! So, if your relationship with you-know-who is meant to be, then it will work out. If not.. hey, you are a great guy - and there a some really great women out there to find... so, as Nike says, JUST DO IT!

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home